Tuesday, May 15, 2018

We talked about a cat …

We talked about getting a cat, as cats are permitted in our townhome community. 

I’ve lived with cats before.  Funny, cats don’t live with you; they condescend to allow you to live with them.  Ha!

One of the cats I cohabitated with over the years was Rocky. He was indeed a Soul Mate.

Rocky in leaves

Can you spot the cat?

He was such a character, a playmate, my buddy, and exhibited some dog traits in being my protector.  And I was his Mom, his companion, his playmate, his protector.

When someone would come to the front door, he would run to it and growl.  On a few occasions, he positioned himself between me and dogs, growling.  Yes, a cat did that!  We would play … him up in a tree at about my eye level and we would play peek-a-boo … him “hiding” behind a branch and then “peeping” out.  Oh, those were just some of the shenanigans we had!  Often I would wake up with Rocky sitting on my chest, watching me.  Yeah, okay, probably because he wanted me to get up and feed him, but …

Rocky Christmas 1986 on Chantilly Lane

Rocky – Houston, TX – circa 1986

I have lived with cats – usually more than one at a time - at different points in my life throughout the years, starting in my college days.  Here’s a few …

Toto in Houston in 1984

Toto

Samantha 01

Samantha

Rocky, Toto and Samantha were offspring of the cat who resided at the baseball park in El Paso where I worked. Their sibling Napoleon was also part of my life during that period.

Quita and Snookums

Quita (left) and Snookums (right) circa 1990– These 2 were bonded and “adopted” off the street during a cold Winter in Houston. Quita showed up early one Winter morning.  Fed her “just once” because it was cold and she was pitiful. Well, she again appeared with Snookums, the next day.  The rest was history.

Red September 2000 in Brenham

Red (Brenham, TX, circa 2000), who abandoned his former home (complete with tags) where he wasn’t getting what he needed.  This boy was the “thorn in my side,” the perpetual “awkward teenager,” one minute with my hand in his teeth, the next instant gently touching my face with his paw.  I was “his,” as he so obviously indicated once by marking me!   Never a dull moment with Red.

Each of those feline companions have left a paw print on my heart, but … Rocky and I had a connection that resides in the spiritual realm.

So.  Dogs not being permitted in our community, we have been tossing around the idea of bringing a kitty into our home.  I even was looking at cat supplies in Walmart yesterday.   I cruised the local shelter’s pages of adoptable cats.  Yikes!

It has been 13 years since I have shared my home and life with a cat.

I’ve spent some time researching different setups for the litter box.  Did you know there is furniture for housing a litter box?  There are systems with which you can (supposedly) train your cat to use the toilet.  Want a laugh?  Check out this YouTube video of a woman’s attempt at toilet training her kitty.  Best outright laugh I’ve had in a while.  You’ll “get it” if you’ve lived with a kitty.

However.  Much like attempting to configure space for a dining room table with no success, there simply is no practical place for a kitty litter box.

Yes, folks, it boils down to that.  The litter box. 

I’m still toying around the with idea of volunteering in some capacity with our local shelter.  Looks like that is the most viable option at this point.

And that’s not a bad thing.

Stay safe out there, okay?  Thanks for stopping by!


2 comments:

  1. Volunteering would be wonderful...and heartbreaking...and heartwarming!!

    We kept the litter box in the kid's bathroom. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worked in a no kill shelter as a volunteer for awhile. No pressure to offload the cats, as they were safe for life. But fun when someone took one home!
    I adore cats and wish we had room for one on the boat, but a litter box in the saloon is not a great thing - we had one when our elderly cat lived aboard for a couple of years. Yikes!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and comment!