Thursday, July 2, 2015

Survived First Night Shift

I certainly did survive and, although ready for some snooze time at 3 AM this morning, I didn’t feel totally wiped out.

That came later and lasted all day.  Take into account we traveled yesterday and then I was up until 3 AM with no nap, we have been traveling heavily (for us, at least) the past three months and the atmosphere here today was that of an afternoon thunderstorm brewing . . . wow-whee! was I drowsy and slooowww-moving today.  In fact, I sat down in my recliner to wait for a computer to process an update and the next thing I knew my phone was ringing 30-45 minutes later.

Whoopsies!  Momma snoozed.

I wasn’t the only one.  Maggie was plumb tuckered out, too.  When we went over to the rig from the office this morning, she made a dash for the bed as soon as her harness was off.  When I looked after having my shower, she was flat out on the bed totally zonked.  Takes her a bit to get used to the new schedule, too.  She’s crashed on her bed here in the office right now. 

Nights go by rather quickly, actually.  The first 24-48 hours of night shift are a bit goofy; just takes  my body a bit to get back in the groove.

The storm?  Man.  It hit this afternoon around 5 PM and what a toad-strangler that was.  The wind was about as strong as I’ve seen with a thunderstorm and not tropical storm.  Crazy.  There were a few small branches down here and there, including one that came cascading off the big tree next to our rig.  No harm  done, though, as far as we can tell. 

Rainbow after storm 07022015

This was after the storm passed.  If you look closely, you can see the second rainbow to the left of the main one.  Nice!

Dave had returned from his bike ride as the skies were darkening.  This was his first ride back here and he encountered . . . no dogs!  Yay for him!

We have had a rather quiet evening, making patrol rounds on schedule and then just hanging out.  The crew is gone until Monday, so it’s just us and the . . . geese, frogs and whatever.  Boy, were the frogs in fine chorus following the storm.

More rain is in store for tomorrow, but that’s okay.  We’re enjoying having a few quiet days around here to become beings of the night again. 

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit and comment!