Friday, March 25, 2016

Pleasant Week Until . . .

As you know, I telecommute as a virtual assistant and currently have two clients.  One of those clients is also a full-time RVer and Montana fifth-wheel owner!  Kate, Dave (yes another Dave), Buddy and Chaser (B & C are their joyous Blue Heelers) arrived last Thursday and were here until this past Wednesday.  You might enjoy their blog, Taking the Fifth.  I do!

Kate and Dave Montana 03232016

Kate and Dave’s rig

Theirs is a 2004 front living room model; I didn’t realize that floorplan was available earlier, as it seems to have become popular again in the recent couple of years.  At any rate, it was pretty nifty!  It’s always fun to see inside someone else’s rig, especially full-timers and those with a Montana they call home.  It was also cool for Kate and I to see “where it all happens,” I.e., our workstation setups.

Kate and Betty 03232016

Me and Kate – How fun to meet in person!

Kate’s company is TypeWell, which provides training and software to professionals engaged in closed-captioning (speech-to-text) transcription.  “What the heck is that?,” you ask.  Here’s a description from the TypeWell site:

“How Does TypeWell Work?

A trained TypeWell transcriber synthesizes the essence of the discussion and captures it using advanced abbreviation software. The recipient simultaneously sees the transcript using a standard Web browser on a mobile device, such as a laptop, tablet, smartphone, or e-reader.

A TypeWell transcript can be easily printed or saved for later reference as a study tool or meeting documentation.”

Is that cool and amazing, or what?  Well, of course it is, because Kate is cool and amazing!  So are Dave (her Dave . . . my Dave is also cool and amazing, but you knew that) and the pups, I might add.

I’ll also add that the profession of TypeWell transcriber would fit nicely with the full-time RV lifestyle.  Yes, speech-to-text services are needed all over the country!  You can click here to learn more about training.

“Funny” how I used to be a medical transcriptionist and have ended up involved in transcription, but of a different sort. (I’m not a transcriber, but am Kate’s assistant.)  Yep, that’s the way my world and life go.

My college roommate was a Deaf Education major, and taught me ASL (American Sign Language)during our time together.  “Funny” there, too, eh?  I used to be decently understandable/coherent with signing, but have forgotten most of it over the years.  That was a wee while ago, mind you.

While the temperatures have been comfortable for about a week, the past three days have been windy.  I mean windy to the point of it being unpleasant to be outdoors.  Ugh.  Our two days off this week were spent mostly inside.  We didn’t venture out anywhere except to H.E.B. for groceries.  Wednesday was spent doing laundry and then cooking the rest of the day.  We watched quite a bit of TV and dozed in our recliners a bit.  Unfortunately, it was too windy for Dave to cycle; to do so would have actually been hazardous.

Now the unpleasant part of our “weekend.”  I received alerts that someone was shopping with Dave’s debit card number at an Academy store in Houston to the tune of a couple hundred dollars’ worth of goodies.  Freaked me out and pissed me off.  The card itself was in our possession; only the number/info had been used in this fraud/theft.  As a result, I’ve been working with the bank to get this resolved.  I hope the Blue Bird of Karma visits these jerks (there are other descriptive terms I’d like to use, but I’ve exercised restraint here.)  Soon.  Repeatedly.  I also hope they tried to use it again and found out it had been cancelled.  Thank goodness for alert messages.

I do miss the world in which I grew up . . .

Ah well. 

Moving along, there is a wee home improvement project on the horizon.  I’m hoping to at least get started on it in the next few days.  Nothing major, but it will be an improvement and a bit of a project.

So now it’s almost time for Dave to leave for work and I have work to do yay! once he leaves, including a 2 PM phone meeting.  Better skedaddle!

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit and comment!