Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Oasis

Oasis

A sanctuary is a place you can escape to, to catch your breath and remember who you are. Write about the place you go to when everything is a bit too much.

Today’s writing prompt from The Daily Post at WordPress

Note:  This year I am trying to get back into the habit of blogging and writing in general.  Many full-timers understand that when not traveling, there can be times when there really is not a whole heck of a lot to share.  Days pass routinely . . . working, laundry, errands . . . you get the picture.  Perhaps you’ve even been there!  I have been exploring WordPress as an alternative to Blogger for a while and have signed up for Blogging 101 at Blogging University over there.  Along with tips and tricks, there are a variety of daily prompts.  Some days I will tackle the course assignment, other days it will be ramblings on a prompt and I do plan to take one day of the week to catch up on what has been happening around here.  Thanks for visiting, and I hope you enjoy your stay here!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My oasis once was a physical place and I lived in it.  This was my home in Brenham, Texas as it became following my breast cancer and subsequent dissolution of my marriage in 2002.  Previously having been really just a structure I inhabited, it transformed into my oasis during the healing process that followed those two major life events.  Although I moved from there in 2005 and sold the property, it remains the sanctuary I visit in my mind and soul during meditation or times of needing to reconnect with who I am.

313 W Main front

Exterior of the front.  The living room looked out of those floor-to-ceiling windows and was where I held Reiki classes.  The entire front of the home was devoted to Reiki work.

I envision myself in the living room, standing barefoot on the cool concrete floor in my power spot facing those big windows, doing a standing meditation; this was my ritual which I performed prior to the arrival of students or clients in preparing the space.  Other times I will visualize one of the many evenings I spent snuggled in the Papasan Chair meditating by candlelight . . . quite possibly with my dog Baby in my lap and Snookums, my cat, on my shoulder.  It was one of the few scenarios when those two would be that close to one another in tolerance and tranquility.

313 W Main LR

Living room which became my Reiki studio.  Blankets and pillows would be spread on the floor in front of the windows for classes.

There were times of personal struggle, sorrow and physical pain in this home; however, what blossomed out of that was a sanctuary as I healed, grew, became empowered and found peace and ultimately joy.  There was a lot of me in that structure, too, as I gave it a “facelift” in tearing out carpets, refinishing floors, painting the interior, performing minor repairs and performing ongoing yard maintenance. 

In nurturing my home, it nurtured me.

That is my Oasis, where my Spirit returns in times of needing strengthening and reconnection to who I am.

Where is your Oasis?

“Everything on the earth has a purpose, every disease an herb to cure it, and every person a mission.  This is the Indian theory of existence.”

- Mourning Dove (Christine Quintasket), Salish, 1888-1936

365 Days of Walking the Red Road

Thanks for stopping by!

IMG_4438

I am a Warrior.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit and comment!