Saturday, April 26, 2014

Girlfriends

 

Of course, today was the one morning this weekend/week (and I do mean the one morning as there are things work-related happening around here) I could sleep in.  What happened?  I awoke with allergies bugging me; my nose was running so much you’d think it was in the Boston Marathon.  Oh well, what else to do but get up, eh?  That was a bit before 6 AM.  Yawn.

I’m grateful that it is an absolutely gorgeous morning and that we have a washer/dryer set here in the office so I don’t have to go straggling off to a laundromat.

So.  Girlfriends. 

Over the past week I have had phone conversations and/or email from four of my close girlfriends, each encounter warming my heart, granting me laughter and enriching the bonds we share.

You know, Dave is such a sweet, fun, funny, intelligent and easy-going guy . . . I so enjoy and treasure our time with each other. 

But . . .

He’s not a gal. 

Girlfriends know you and can relate to you in a way your male spouse, partner, significant other or friend will never understand, no matter the depth of your being soul mates.  Ladies, you know what I’m talking about.  I mean, c’mon, when was the last time you talked with your male other half about the joys of making a day of prowling thrift stores, finding that incredibly cute, stylish, like-new item for a dollar?  Yes, men do experience changes as they progress through Life, but it doesn’t hold a freakin’ candle to menopause.  Just sayin’. 

I remember my Mom telling me about the importance of girlfriends.  She said that over the years relationships will come and go and there is the likelihood that one will outlive one’s husband.  In the end, what is left?  Well, relatives, of course, and children if you have them, but . . . girlfriends.  She said that the older one gets, the more important and treasured those connections will become. 

Once again, Mom was right.  I knew it then and know it now.

Thinking of that girlfriend you haven’t talked with, laughed with, in what seems eons?  Give her a call.  Take the time to indulge in a yap session.  It’s good for the soul.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit and comment!