Sunday, May 13, 2018

I Miss Being a Doggie Mom

Yes, I miss being a doggie mom. 

Maggie Happy Face Sikeston MO 2010

Maggie Mae Barnes shared Life with us from 2010 until October 2016.

Most days I’m okay with a dogless life, but hey, it’s Mother’s Day.  No card “From the Dog” again this year.

It is by choice at this point in my life that there are not paws heard in our home.  One of the reasons we chose this senior community is the fact that dogs are not permitted.

While that means our home is without a canine presence, my heart simply can no longer withstand seeing others treat their dogs in ways we would never dream of doing with one of our own.

Our dogs were family, and we treated them as such.

That being said, if management were to reverse the no-dog policy, we’d be hightailing down to the shelter.

Baby 02192009

Baby, who shared Life with me – and then us – for about 12 years until crossing over The Rainbow Bridge in 2010.

Maggie was the child Dave and I never had together.  Baby, on the other hand, spent most of her years with me before Dave’s entrance on the scene.  She was my protector, my strength, my playmate, my Soul Mate.  She truly had more of the protector instinct in her and less of “being the child.”  Perhaps that was the Shepherd in her makeup. 

Maggie had health issues off and on during her life, and required quite a bit of care at times.  Baby had no health issues her entire life, except those associated with age in her last year.  She was pretty much “rock solid.”

Maggie had the innocence and spirit of a child.  Baby was a wise Old Soul and, although playful and silly, she tended to look after me probably more than she needed looking after.

Perhaps that’s why Maggie felt more of the “child” and why I’m missing her particularly fiercely today. 

I’m fine, really, and this will pass. 

I’m so very grateful for the years with Baby and Maggie, for the memories and love I carry in my heart now and always. 

I can just picture the two of them together in the Afterlife.  I am positive they are together and having fun, restored to youthfulness and health.

I know, absolutely know, that they will be waiting for me when my time comes to cross over The Rainbow Bridge. 

Stay safe out there, okay?  Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. Happy fur mommy day - I understand the missing. When our #2Doods are gone, they will be our last.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheesh, yeah. Miss all my "babies", especially Schnitzel who was with us on our last cruise. But cruising is so hard on dogs, so no more until we leave this lifestyle. And by then we may be too old to have any...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and comment!