Tuesday, May 8, 2018

We Survived Winter!

Yes, it was a long winter this year, having snow on the ground 7 calendar months.

Plane on Lake Bemidji 02242018

Plane on Lake Bemidji – February 2018

We didn’t have any real issues with the extreme cold temperatures and snow.  Having lived in Hibbing years ago, we knew what to expect, so we were prepared both mentally and physically.  Well, okay, there were a few times in April when we wondered if we would ever see bare ground again.  Living with a white world for 7 months is … really different.  Still, it is a relief that Spring/Summer is finally here!  Things are greening up outside and our town’s inhabitants are once again enjoying outdoor seating at local restaurants, walking dogs, riding bikes, and the like.  Convertibles are seen around town with tops down.  I’ve even seen an RV or two already and a couple of boats being towed through town.  During the height of Summer, there will be RVs all over the place, including clusters in the Walmart parking lot.  Bemidji at times takes on the feeling and appearance of a cozy touristy lakefront community.  Love it!

Our indoor plants provided us with greenery during the winter months.  This aloe was one of the first plants I purchased when we arrived last April.  It’s been doing some pretty cool things lately.

Aloe bloom 03252018

This stalk is close to 2 feet in length now and continues to produce new blooms.

Aloe bloming again 05072018

Yesterday I noticed a new stalk!

We zoomed up to a high of 83F yesterday, but today we have a steady, light rain falling and we’ll be lucky to kiss 60 outside the next few days.  That’s okay, because we do need the rain.

A couple of weeks ago, I satisfied my need for windshield time and went up the road about 25 miles to the town of Blackduck. 

Blackduck 04252018

Minnesota bucket list item – see the Blackduck statue!  Check!

There’s a few parks, access points to Blackduck Lake, a few shops, surrounding resorts, and a café I’d like to try at some point in the future.  The weather was absolutely stunning!  Turned my tunes up to “blow out the windshield” volume and cruised through the countryside.  Perfect.

One has to make the most of the good-weather months up here, hence the road trip.  I have a few more of those in mind for the coming months.  Speaking of making the most, I added a few things to our patio area this year.  Last year I had a couple of hanging baskets, and not much else.  Knowing that Nature’s Edge Garden Center had tomato hanging baskets, I headed out there last week to get one before they’re sold out.  Apparently they go quite quickly!

Tomato plant 04302018

If all goes well, we’ll have cherry tomatoes!

Oh, I tell ya.  I could have done some extreme damage to my bank account out there at Nature’s Edge.  So many lovely plants, containers, outdoor décor … oh my!

Natures Edge Garden Center 04302018

See what I mean??

Menard’s is one of my fave places in town.  They have a wee bit of everything.  The rest of the patio decorations came from there.

Entrance decorations 05012018

Side patio decorations 05012018

We had 2 “pink chickens” aka flamingoes at the New Jersey site, and I saw these at Menard’s a few weeks ago and kept thinking about them.  Finally asked Dave what he thought, and he voiced his approval, saying that they would remind him of our good times in NJ.  So!  Back I went to Menard’s, and these 2 cuties came home with me. 

Toad house 04252018

If you look at the large boulder above from a certain angle, it really does look like a toad.  In fact, we named it “Toad” pretty much on our first day here last year.  We also did have a real-life toad visitor last Summer, so … Toad House seemed appropriate!

You may notice no hanging decorations, no pots or patio table set, or anything really tall.  That is because of the wind.  Our townhome is on the back side of the community, and the wind on our patio/porch is incredible at times.  We seem to get whirlwinds on windy days, including accumulations of leaves and what resembles tumbleweeds.  It is quite often windy, so I really don’t want to risk hanging whirly-gigs and the like.  We can place decorations in the flowerbeds, but planting is not allowed.  I satisfy my “digging in the dirt” needs with a variety of indoor and outdoor potted plants.  I’d love to have a large container with daylilies, but I just know they would be battered by the winds.  Oh well!

One has to also keep in mind that whatever goes out on the patio has to come indoors during Winter due to the extreme cold temperatures.  The shepherd hooks stayed out and fared well, but everything else will need to be stowed indoors once cold weather begins.  Spending a lot of money and acquiring large items just doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.

We finally got a garage a couple of months ago!

Car in garage 04282018

There isn’t much room on either side; in fact, one can’t open the doors all the way.  There is some room at the front for storage, but all that’s inside other than the car are a few things hanging on the wall – snow shovel, snowshoes, etc.  It’s such a relief to have the car under shelter, not only during the Winter but in the event of severe storms during the summer months.  We did have some hail last year, but no damage to the car.  Yay for a garage!

After the weekly housecleaning on Sunday, I drove down to the south shore of Lake Bemidji for a wee stroll. 

Lake Bemidji 05062018

Quite the difference from February, eh?

We have been back up here for a bit over a year now, and still say it has been a good decision.  Our townhome is comfortable and nice, and we’re all settled in.  I confess I’d still like a proper dining table and chairs, but there’s really no room with the bikes.  Believe me, I’ve measured all different ways!  Ha!  Perhaps we’ll find a set that will suit us and the space at some point.  I’ve met a few neighbors and, while we don’t have what I’d call an active social life, it is nice to talk to neighbors now and then.  I’ve been invited to a few group gatherings, but I’ve never really been a “joiner” and prefer to nurture relationships on an individual level.

Our jobs are percolating along nicely.  Dave is well liked and respected at his, and he is finding it to be a much better situation overall than in Texas.  My telecommuting work as an administrative assistant is still enjoyable, and my responsibilities continue to expand. 

Days are full and have fallen into a comfortable routine.  We have a mini vacation of 4 days scheduled for later this month, with plans for some day trips both together and my solo windshield time, cycling for Dave, walks for me, and just “be-ing.”

Sunset 05042018

Sunset from our patio – May 4, 2018

Yes, I have to say … Life is Guid!

Thanks for stopping by!












3 comments:

  1. So nice to see you blogging again. Just remember, you don't have to do it all at once. Just drop a note every once in a while, especially for those folks who aren't on Facebook. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if I could stand that much cold and snow anymore. However, I do know I could not live with the heat and humidity in south Texas or Louisiana.

    Glad that both you and Dave are happy with your decision to settle in MN.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're back!
    Love the decorations and your plants. I used to go broke every spring at the nursery and then kill them all by mid June. Have settled down to an aloe and a sweet potato plant on the boat.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and comment!