Saturday, March 21, 2015

Travel Days 10 and 11 - Shreveport, LA to Texarkana, TX

We spent last night in Shreveport, and I really don’t have anything to say about that.  It rained.  That was travel day #10.

Today was day #11, and we were away from the Shreveport/Bossier City KOA at our usual departure time of around 11 AM.  Yes, it was raining.

Yes, we traveled in rain.  It wasn’t a heavy downpour, just a steady rain under leaden skies with no wind.  I’m grateful for that.

You know, I think that’s my first time towing in prolonged rain.  Easy peasy.

We took I-20 East to I-220 North and then connected with the new I-49 North out of Shreveport.

Man!  What a sweet highway is that I-49!  There are no amenities along the way, but the road is absolutely lovely.

We needed to connect with Loop 151 on crossing into Arkansas at exit 29-B, but there was no indication of it being 151.  Oh well, I knew we needed to head west into Texas, so we took the left fork.  A little ways along there was a sign by the side of the road indicating it was Loop 151.

Yay me!

We are now at Shady Pines RV Park in Texarkana, Texas.  It is associated with Shady Pines RV Center next door.  This is a really nice park with paved streets and paved, level sites.  Paved!  Level!  Hook-up pads in the middle of the site pad so our sewer reaches! 

Yay us!

It is by far the nicest park we have stayed at on this trip and the least expensive with our Good Sam discount.  I’ll try to get photos of the clubhouse and wee lake while we’re here. 

Shady Pines RV Park Texarkana TX 03212015

Unhitched and settled in at Site B6.  I could stay here for a long time.  It’s a very comfortable, pleasant and small park.

We arrived midafternoon and, after setting up, scooted back into town to Albertson’s for a few groceries.  We will be here until Friday, at which time we will roll on down the highway to Mt. Pleasant and our new home at the KOA there.

Plants made it to TX 03212015

My plants fared well in the cab of the truck, nestled in a box next to Maggie’s crate.  They are enjoying their first Texas evening outside right now.

Texas again 03212015

Haven’t seen this in a store in . . . well, quite a while.  Yes, we’re back in Texas!

Shiner Bock 03212015

Shiner Bock is in the house in honor of our return for Dave’s last vacation weekend

While here in Texarkana, we are having a minor repair done on the rig, hopefully having it professionally washed and waxed and taking care of some personal business.  I need to get our truck inspected.  These roads are true Texas roads with wide shoulders, so Dave is ready to get out there and clock some bike miles.  I have laundry to do and am looking forward to doing some cooking for a change.  Working night shift in South Carolina pretty much prohibited that on any regular basis.  We also plan to relax and rest from the road – recuperate from all the lousy, rainy weather – and thereby be refreshed and energized for heading into our job as campground managers.

We have already visited with a couple of folks here in the park when walking around this afternoon/evening.  We are looking at more rain tonight and tomorrow but . . . I don’t care!  Bwahaha!  We’re off the road, set up nicely and we’re on concrete!

I am, folks, in heaven.

We are a bit under 60 miles to our final destination.  I am so grateful that we have had a safe and uneventful journey this far.  “Thanks, Dad, for watching over us and for imparting so much knowledge – both practical and intuitive – to me throughout the years.”

1956 Plymouth and Dragin 1 in 1963 at Burkett home

The first rig I remember as a child. We lived in the house that had this backyard until the summer before I entered second grade in school.

Maggie and I  had a prolonged, enjoyable walk earlier.  This has been the best place for walking her and she certainly deserved some fun time outdoors after all the traveling and the bad weather.  She is  crashed on the bed, happy and relaxed.  She is such a great traveler and has seen quite a few states now.

Speaking of states, I hope to get our state map up on the window while we’re here.

Okay, I need to get this posted.  In spite of a yummy cup of coffee a bit ago, I bet I’ll sleep tonight!

“The Kiowa braves have grown up from childhood, obtaining their medicine from the earth.”

- Satank, Kiowa, c, 1810-1871

365 Days of Walking the Red Road

Thanks for stopping by!

IMG_4438

I am a Warrior

The above bracelet is a Toby and Max design

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy your week of vacation. I hope the rain stops and you have some nice days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rain has been very persistent in Texas this winter! Glad you have a nice concrete pad!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and comment!